Coquitlam Heritage Society
May 7, 2018 (5:00 p.m.)
Coquitlam Heritage operates Mackin House and runs a tourism booth from the original Fraser Mills Train Station. We offer a variety of programming throughout the year and provide tours of the restored Edwardian-era historic house.
Coquitlam Heritage is seeking a Tourism & Programs Assistant to offer tours and tourism information to the public throughout the busy summer months.
The successful candidate will work in a dynamic learning environment and will develop their critical thinking skills, communication and presentation skills, team building, creative thinking, and research skills.
• Conduct tours of Mackin House & the Maillardville neighbourhood
• Care for Mackin House, including light cleaning, gardening, and tidying the rooms and grounds
• Provide visitor information services such as giving directions, finding accommodations, handing out brochures, and answering tourism-related questions
• Work with children, adults, and seniors at events, festivals, and during workshops
• Prepare for events and workshops, including preparing crafts, baking, and set-up and clean-up
• Register people into programs and workshops and take payment over the phone
• Demonstrates a genuine interest in community heritage, history, and culture
• Displays a helpful, outgoing personality
• Works well in a team and individually
• Focuses on and complete tasks in a timely manner
• Is organized and can prioritize
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word
• Is curious, learns quickly, and is very comfortable researching and problem solving
• Ability to use InDesign and Squarespace is considered an asset
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs safely
• Must pass a Criminal Information Check
• Food Safe Certificate is considered an asset
• 2nd language skills not required but considered an asset
Eligible student participants must:
• Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
Coquitlam Heritage is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from underrepresented groups, including new immigrant youth/refugees, Indigenous youth, youth with disabilities and visible minorities.
This position is suitable for those considering teaching, library science, recreation, research, event coordination, museum studies, museum education, tourism, hospitality, community programming and the range of associated jobs.
How to Apply:
Send your cover letter, as above, plus your resume in PDF to:
Subject line: YourName_Tourism&ProgramAssistant_CSJ_Application
Closes: Monday, May 7 at 5:00pm
Position is pending successful funding. Candidates will be considered as applications are received. This is a 30 hour a week position that will run for 13-weeks, working Tuesdays to Saturdays. Compensations: $14.35/hr
Contact Name: Stefani Klaric
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (604) 516-6151