Capture Photography Festival
Sep. 2, 2018
Capture Photography Festival, Western Canada’s largest photography festival, is dedicated to celebrating local and international photography and lens-based art. The Festival aims to showcase critically acclaimed artists, foster emerging talent, encourage active community participation, and initiate public conversation about lens-based art. Each April, Capture features dynamic public installations, exhibitions from Vancouver’s leading public and commercial galleries, learning opportunities, and a series of community engagement events including talks, tours, workshops, and film screenings.
Capture is seeking a creative, enthusiastic, and dedicated Communications Coordinator to take charge of the Festival’s public-facing image, make our various audiences excited about the 2019 Festival, give the press the skinny on Capture’s own and festival participants’ programming, and generally help champion lens-based art in Greater Vancouver and beyond.
Must be willing to be fully in charge of MailChimp, because current staff have come to wits’ end with its fiddly ways.
This position offers the opportunity to help shape Capture’s image and foster recognition of the Festival as one of Vancouver’s signature cultural events. As Capture is run by a small team, this position also offers experience across and insight into a broad range of skills related to working with not-for-profits and large arts events.
We think this position would be great for a recent graduate of a Communications or Marketing program, a freelance communications/marketing professional looking for new non-profit clients, or a cultural worker who has experience in running communications for an arts organization or festival.
The Communications Coordinator will work primarily in the Capture Office in Gastown, with opportunity to occasionally work remotely.
This part-time contract positions runs from October 2018 to May 2019, 2 to 3 days per week, at a rate of $20/hr. The schedule is flexible, with the months of March and April being busiest and requiring availability on some weekends and evenings.
***Capture is concurrently seeking applications for a part-time Festival Assistant role. If you have the skills, drive, and desire, we welcome simultaneous application to both positions, resulting in a full-time contract position for the same period.***
Reporting to Capture’s Director, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for:
- writing press releases, creating press kits, and liaising and building relationships with press and other PR contacts
- producing MailChimp newsletters
- managing social media calendar and activating Capture’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- managing advertising sales in the Capture Magazine (festival guide)
- managing Capture ad placement and production
- supporting the development and execution of identity and brand
- working with Tourism Vancouver and other industry stakeholders
- building relationships that will assist with the development, implementation, and evaluation of communications programs
- collaborating with senior staff to ensure that communication activities are accomplishing program objectives
- collecting, collating, and producing media reports
- liaising with marketing, web, and design contractors as needed
- championing Capture’s branding and style guidelines
- Experience or education in Communications, PR, Marketing, or a related field
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms and MailChimp
- Ability to write engaging copy for many different audiences
- Knowledge of/relationships with local and national press, blogs, and other media
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Creative thinker
- Excellent initiative and self-supervision
- A personal laptop that can be used in the office
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends during the month of April
- Interest in photography and the local and national arts scenes
- Experience with photography and video production
- Experience with Wordpress or another content management system
- Experience working in a not-for-profit environment
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and/or experience implementing style guidelines
How to Apply:
Send cover letter (max. two pages) and resume by email by Sunday, September 2, 2018, to:
Jaclyn Arndt, Festival Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please state “Communications Coordinator application” in the subject line of your email. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Capture Photography Festival celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note: The Capture office is currently located on the second floor of an old building and unfortunately is not wheelchair accessible.
Further note: There are often dogs in the office.
Contact Name: Jaclyn Arndt
Contact Email: email@example.com