Place des Arts
Feb. 4, 2019
Founded in 1972, Place des Arts is a not-for-profit arts education centre with a mission to inspire the artist in everyone. Located in the historic Maillardville neighbourhood of Coquitlam, we offer quality instruction for all ages and skill levels in the visual, literary and performing arts.
Full‐time, 16‐week contract Monday to Friday (subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding)
Start date: 6 May 2019
Rate: $16 / hr (37.5‐hour work week)
Reporting to the Executive Director and working with the Program and Events Coordinator and Resource Development and Volunteer Coordinator, the Events Assistant facilitates Place des Arts’ events in all aspects and assists with preparations for the annual online fundraising auction.
• Work with the Program and Events Coordinator to coordinate all aspects of Place des Arts’ involvement with external community events during the summer
• Research and create children’s visual art activities to be offered by Place des Arts at external community events
• Oversee and manage Place des Arts’ art activity booth at all external community events during the summer, including supervising and leading event volunteers
• Work with the Program and Events Coordinator to plan, organize and implement all aspects of Place des Arts’ summer performances
• Assistant stage-manage the year-end theatre performance (Inlet Theatre) and year-end dance recital (Terry Fox Theatre)
• Assist with group wrangling and communicating rehearsal and performance information to performers, instructors, parents and volunteers at Place des Arts’ summer performances
Faculty Appreciation Week
• Assist with planning and implementing events for faculty appreciation week
Summer Art Camps (July 2 – August 16)
• Assist with volunteer orientation sessions
• Supervise students and volunteers in after-hours care programs 3:45pm – 5:00pm (Monday to Friday) throughout the camps
• Assist staff with organizing the Friday Fun Day program, including displays of student artwork
• Coordinate day-of catering and food service for the fully-subsidized ArtReach camp (August 12 - 16).
• Assist staff with the planning and preparation of an annual online fundraising auction
• Prepare donation request letters and mailings for the fundraiser. Conduct follow up phone calls and pick up donations
• Maintain accurate records of donations and inventory using MS Excel
• Complete a final report describing the work plan, compiling event statistics summarizing evaluations, and offering recommendations to improve the events
• Valid BC Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
• Previous experience and demonstrated capability in coordinating events
• Effective written and verbal communication skills, including excellent phone manner
• Well organized with attention to detail
• Capacity to manage multiple tasks
• Approachable and flexible with an eagerness to learn
• Ability to work with a variety of personalities
• Ability to evaluate a situation and determine what action to take
• Must have a flexible work schedule that can accommodate daytime, evening and weekend shifts as needed. Candidates must be available to work on weekends.
o Please see attached list of the community events you will be responsible for
• Proficiency in MS Office, navigating the Internet and the ability to use new software
• Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
• Must have valid First Aid Certification by position start date
• Must have a criminal record check completed upon hiring
To be eligible, participants must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
• Ability to relate to children
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
• Food Safe Level I
How to Apply:
Please submit a résumé with cover letter and references by February 4, 2019 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, 1120 Brunette Avenue, Coquitlam, BC V3K 1G2
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Place des Arts is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
$16 / hr
Contact Name: Casey McCarthy
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (604) 664-1636