Place des Arts
Feb. 4, 2019
Founded in 1972, Place des Arts is a not-for-profit arts education centre with a mission to inspire the artist in everyone. Located in the historic Maillardville neighbourhood of Coquitlam, we offer quality instruction for all ages and skill levels in the visual, literary and performing arts.
Full‐time, 14‐week contract Monday to Friday (subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding)
Start date: 21 May 2019
Rate: $16 / hr (37.5‐hour work week)
Reporting to the Executive Director and working directly with the Fine and Performing Arts Programmer (FPAP), the Summer Fun! Art Camp Coordinator (SFACC) will facilitate all aspects of the Summer Fun! Art Camp, for students ages 5 to 14.
The SFACC will provide administrative support for the FPAP including monitoring registration, promotion, documentation and evaluation.
• Track enrolment numbers according to course, age group and discipline
• Ensure that all registration, client information and emergency contact forms are complete
• Communicate with teachers regarding their needs and requirements for the program
• Assist the Communications Coordinator in distributing promotional materials
• Communicate with clients to ensure that program information is shared in a timely manner
• Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, train and supervise approximately 50 volunteers
• Update volunteer handbook and training materials. Organize and present a volunteer orientation session
• Prepare weekly room set-up diagrams and communicate to contractor responsible for setting up rooms and preparing equipment prior to program start
• Prepare weekly documentation including attendance lists and sign-in sheets
• Prepare weekly nametags for volunteers and students
• Prepare weekly schedules and individual schedules for volunteers
• Complete a final report describing the work plan, compiling registration numbers, summarizing evaluations and offering recommendations to improve the program.
Camp Coordination (July 2 – August 9)
• The SFACC will provide front-line support for students, parents, teachers and volunteers who are involved with the Summer Fun! Art Camp.
• Ensure the safety and organization of up to 120 students per day
• Supervise and manage up to 15 volunteers per day
• Deliver morning announcements regarding camp safety, policies and scheduling to all camp participants daily
• Ensure the camp runs on schedule by supervising class changes, snack break and lunch break
• Ensure behavioural policies are followed by camp participants
• Work with the Events Assistant to display students’ artwork and organize all aspects of the Friday Fun Day program
• Organize pick-up of student work each week
• Previous experience coordinating children or youth programs
• Ability to relate to children
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Well organized with attention to detail
• Capacity to manage multiple tasks
• Competency in public speaking
• Ability to work independently and to exercise initiative
• Approachable and flexible, with an eagerness to learn
• Ability to work with a variety of personalities
• Ability to evaluate a situation and determine what action to take
• Must have a flexible work schedule to accommodate additional hours as needed
• Candidate must also be available to work on Sunday June 16, and the evenings of Monday June 10 and Wednesday June 12
• Proficiency in MS Office, navigating the Internet and the ability to use new software
• Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
• Must have valid First Aid Certification by position start date
• Must have a criminal record check completed upon hiring
To be eligible, participants must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
• Previous experience coordinating and supervising volunteers
• Experience working with children with special needs
• Proficiency in a second language: French, Korean, Mandarin or Cantonese
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter and references by February 4, 2019 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, 1120 Brunette Avenue, Coquitlam, BC V3K 1G2
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Place des Arts is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
$16 / hr
Contact Name: Casey McCarthy
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (604) 664-1636