Vancouver Cantata Singers
Apr. 15, 2019
Vancouver Cantata Singers was founded in 1957, and has become one of Canada’s preeminent, award-winning choral ensembles. VCS is known for technical virtuosity, fine blend and exceptionally high-performance standards encompassing 500 years of choral repertoire. The Vancouver Cantata Singers have been awarded the Canada Council’s top prize in choral singing, the Healey Willan Grand Prize, more than any other choir in the country. Led by Paula Kremer since 2013, VCS also commissions new works from critically acclaimed composers which have led to extremely successful and innovative collaborations with regional and international artists and ensembles.
VCS is a registered charitable organization and an incorporated society in British Columbia. We employ local, professional musicians and rely on a large volunteer base to provide audiences with first class performances, newly commissioned works, and educational outreach activities. Vancouver Cantata Singers continues to reinvent itself so that it remains relevant to the community of singers, musicians, composers and audiences.
The General Manager is responsible for oversight and execution of all aspects of the Vancouver Cantata Society including financial planning, grant applications, development, media and marketing, and operations of the choir. The General Manager reports to and works with the Board of Directors, and works closely with the Artistic Director, to achieve the short- and long-term goals of the choir. The position requires working various and flexible hours (day, evenings, and weekends, as needed), averaging to about 30 hours/week annually.
• Supervises and coordinates all performance -related activities, including venue and artist engagement, fee negotiations and contractual agreements, venue liaison, stage requirements, and front of house requirements
• Coordinates stage management
• Books, contracts and pays artists
• Liaises with performance and rehearsal venues, schedules venues as required
• Stage management
• Arranges for equipment such as risers and lighting as required
• Attends rehearsals, dress rehearsals and concerts
Marketing, Publicity and Communication
• Designs and executes marketing and communications campaigns, writes and prepares printed materials in keeping with the style and image appropriate to the Vancouver Cantata Singers
• Writes and distributes regular press releases to local media, and develops relationships with local writers and bloggers
• Manages ticket sales and season ticket management through Eventbrite and ensure appropriate complimentary ticket management
• Maintains current and accurate information on website
• Oversees the maintenance and ongoing development of audience and subscription lists
• Oversees communication with the Society's supporters, friends and participants
• Prepares budget and maintains financial records, including payables, receivables, cash flow and oversees strategies for meeting or exceeding budget targets; works with Society's Treasurer, bookkeeper and auditor in the preparation and presentation of accurate and timely financial records
• Identifies programming decisions and other issues affecting the budget
• Generates monthly payroll and invoice payments
• Anticipates and meets all deadlines and milestones, such as grant reports, supporting materials and final reports, CADAC requirements, and Society and Charitable filing
Development, Grant Writing and Fundraising
• Writes all grant applications and identifies new funding opportunities
• Provides oversight and execution of fundraising initiatives and activities in collaboration with Fundraising Committee and Board
• Manages communication with donors and sponsors; creates and distributes fundraising materials; retains and obtains new supporters
• Communicates with and maintains relations with foundations and funding agencies at all levels of government
• Supports strategic planning and delivery of objectives and meeting goals as set by the Board and attends all Board meetings
• Maintains excellent communication with the Board of Directors on all operational matters
• Administrates choir-related activities and communication with choir members and identifies performance, touring and outreach opportunities in collaboration with the Artistic Director
• Liaises with other arts groups to develop partnerships, build VCS profile and community presence
• Develops and implements HR and other policies and procedures in conjunction with the Board of Directors and/or Artistic Director
• Develops and recruits volunteers to support the organization
Our ideal candidate is an experienced manager in the not-for-profit environment, with excellent organizational ability and a passion for choral music and the performing arts, along with:
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to both lead and work with others
• Outstanding communications skills
• Excellent multi-tasking abilities
• Strong computer skills (MS Office, social media platforms, web content management, data management software)
• Experience in promotion and publicity
• Experience in fundraising and donor development
• Experience writing grant applications
• Basic bookkeeping skills and financial management
• Experience working with a Board of Directors and volunteers
Ideally, the successful candidate owns or has access to a vehicle.
How to Apply:
Please email your application, including a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “VCS General Manager Position” by Monday, April 15 2019.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
We look forward to hearing from you!
This is an open-ended contract position with a compensation of $45,000 annually on a one-year renewing agreement.