Sep. 20, 2019 (5:00 p.m.)
Arts Umbrella is where young artists ages 2–22 cultivate their creativity in Dance, Theatre, and Visual Arts. As a non-profit organization for arts education, we believe that art is powerful. Powerful enough to change kids’ lives in incredible ways. When young people connect with the arts, they gain self-confidence, develop self-discipline, and discover creative expression—things they carry with them for life. Arts Umbrella has four locations in Vancouver and Surrey, as well as donor-funded programs at schools, community centres, neighbourhood houses, and healthcare facilities across Metro Vancouver. We reach close to 21,000 students every year, with nearly 80% participating at little to no cost.
Now celebrating its 40th year, Arts Umbrella will be moving into the South Building of the former Emily Carr University of Art + Design on Granville Island in late 2019. This exceptional opportunity will allow Arts Umbrella to further our vision for a better world where all young lives are inspired to pursue a lifelong journey towards self-expression, compassion, and humanity. It is our mission to be Canada’s leader in arts education for young people; to build community and deliver profound life experiences through our commitment to innovation, excellence, and inclusivity. Arts Umbrella is an organization full of heart, where self-expression and creativity are valued and nurtured.
Reporting to the Manager, Program Operations, the Assistant plays a key role in providing administrative support and facilitating the smooth running of the Programming department for Art & Design and Theatre & Music disciplines (general programs) for Granville Island and, as needed, Community programs.
• Provides administrative support to the Programming department with a primary focus, but is not limited to, payroll administration, database management, generating bi-monthly reports, tracking substitutions, tracking leaves of absences, day-to-day operations, training of new instructional staff, document preparation, and general office organization
• Assists in operations of course programming, seasonal camps, workshops and instructional staff events, and organizes meetings, room bookings, calendars, instructional staff contacts and bios
• Liaises with instructional staff on a daily basis
• Provides general support of instructional staff recruitment, including scheduling and participating in interviews in conjunction with Manager, Program Operations, Manager, Human Resources and Artistic Directors, and following up with prospective applicants
• Works actively with Programming department to continuously improve administrative and operational systems and processes
Our Assistant, Programming has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with ever-shifting priorities and the following must have qualifications:
• A post-secondary degree/diploma and 2 to 3 years of experience in an administrative role or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Detail-oriented & extremely organized, as well as being a self-motivated, analytical, and confident professional
• Outstanding written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
• Proven ability to work productively and multi-task effectively in a collaborative, high energy, dynamic work environment
• Highly functional with Microsoft Office Suite, with advanced skills in Excel
Ideally, our successful candidate will also have the following:
• Experience in payroll and/or bookkeeping
• Experience working in the non-profit sector
• Experience with Activenet and/or other databases such as Filemaker Pro
How to Apply:
If you would like to make a difference in the lives of kids & teens in Metro Vancouver, please forward your resume and cover letter in one document to email@example.com no later than 5 PM Friday, September 20 indicating Assistant, Programming in the subject line.
We will review resumes as they arrive and schedule interviews when appropriate.
Arts Umbrella thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
$31,500 - $34,000 Annually