April 10, 2013
Submitted by administrator
BC Government Increases Support for Arts Scholarships
The BC government announced yesterday (April 9) increased support for the BC Arts Council Scholarship program, providing more opportunities for young British Columbians to study the arts.
Program funding will increase from $150,000 to $750,000 this year. As a result, the number of scholarships granted to British Columbians studying the arts could more than triple, from about 50 to as high as 175. The new funding increases the maximum value of the scholarships from $4,000 to $6,000.
The program develops professional British Columbia artists by assisting with the post-secondary education of outstanding arts students.
BC residents entering a full-time degree or diploma program in a range of disciplines can apply for a scholarship.
Eligible areas of artistic study include:
- arts administration
- community-based arts practice
- museology and conservation studies
- literary (creative writing, publishing)
- dance (performance, choreography in all genres)
- media arts (film, video, television, audio/sound art, new media, interactive digital media)
- theatre (acting, directing, technical, design, musical theatre including stage and/or film)
- music (performance, composition in all genres)
- visual arts, craft, and curatorial practice
Application deadline is April 30, 2013.
For more information about qualifications and how to apply, visit: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca/guidelines/artists/youth/scholarship_awards.html