The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT), Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC) and l'Association des théâtres francophones du Canada (ATFC) have once again joined forces to promote World Theatre Day from a distinctly Canadian perspective.
Says Micheline Chevrier, Associate Director of Imago Theatre: “I am very honoured to have been asked by PACT, PGC and ATFC to write the message on the occasion of World Theatre Day. In doing so, I have had to reflect on the importance of telling stories, taking risks and broadening one's understanding of the world. It has been a great gift. I look forward to reading other messages and taking inspiration and strength from those thoughts into my work.”
Created in 1961 by UNESCO, World Theatre Day is celebrated annually on March 27 by theatre communities around the globe. The impetus behind World Theatre Day is to honour and further UNESCO's International Theatre Institute’s goals to:
- Celebrate the power of theatre as an indispensable bridge-builder for mutual international understanding and peace.
- Promote and protect cultural diversity and identity in communities throughout the world. Each year, a renowned theatre artist of world stature is invited to craft an International Message to mark the global occasion. This year we are proud to add a distinctly Canadian voice to these messages – click here for the full text of Ms. Chevrier’s message, and click here for the video release.
Wondering what you or your company can do to celebrate World Theatre Day? Here are some tips and ideas you can use!
- On Facebook /Twitter: Post March 27th is World Theatre Day! and don’t forget to link a to the YouTube video!
- Comment on the official YouTube video
- Post the YouTube video on your website or blog
- Post or link to the full message (the English or French version, or both!) on your website or blog
- Offer a discount to patrons in celebration of World Theatre Day
- Place an insert in your programs celebrating World Theatre Day
- Add a World Theatre Day message to your outgoing voicemail
- Have box office staff wish callers and in person patrons a “happy World Theatre Day”
- Add a World Theatre Day message to your email signature
- Fill in the blank – What are YOU doing for WTD? _____________________
- Fill in the blank – For World Theatre Day I’m going to ______________________.
For more World Theatre Day info and activities around the world, visit the website.