149 Arts, a newly formed non-profit society of SFU's Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, has announced the premiere of Festival Launch! Vancouver's Professional Emerging Artist Showcase and Workshop, taking place June 21 and 22. Hosted by popular musician and composer Veda Hille, this annual festival will focus on providing emerging artists entorship by top industry professionals, including Producer Jim Smith of DanceHouse Vancouver, vaunted arts columnist Max Wyman, and talent agent Murray Gibson, among others.
A cabaret-style showcase, hosted by Veda Hille, will follow the workshops on the evenings of June 21. Each will feature performances from selected artists in the five disciplines represented through mentorship. The public will be invited to come to see new talent before these artists catapult themselves to a national stage.
Applications are now open and will be accepted until May 28, 2013.
Submissions accepted in the following five disciplines:
- Music: All genres, vocal or instrumental
- Media Arts: Film, video and interactive arts
- Performance Arts: Theatre, spoken word, monologues, scene work
- Dance: Ballet, jazz, contemporary, lyrical, stage, tap, hip hop, breakdance, burlesque
- New Forms: Crossover disciplines, genres with live component.
To apply for Festival Launch!, applicants must have original work, professional education/professional experience in their art and must live in the Lower Mainland. Performers can apply online.