Emily Carr University of Art + Design has received a 2015 Red Dot Design Award, placing it within the top ten Design Universities in the Americas and Europe. This significantly ranks Emily Carr’s programs above respected competitive contemporaries, including London’s Royal College of Art and New York’s Pratt Institute.
The Red Dot Design ranking seeks to honour leaders in innovation for their pursuance of design excellence through a compilation of an organization’s cumulative achievements in the Red Dot Design Award over the past five years. Originating in the mid-1950s, the Award received more than 17,000 entries in 2015 alone. Its distinction, the “Red Dot”, is established internationally as one of the most sought-after quality marks for excellent design.
The top 15 universities in the Americas and Europe in 2015 as ranked by Red Dot are:
- Art Center College of Design (United States)
- Umeå Institute of Design | Umeå University (Sweden)
- ENSCI – les ateliers (France)
- Savannah College of Art and Design (United States)
- Middle East Technical University (METU) (Turkey)
- Academy of Art University (United States)
- Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design (Germany)
- California College of the Arts (United States)
- Emily Carr University of Art + Design (Canada)
- University of Applied Arts Vienna (Austria)
- Tomas Bata University in Zlín (TBU) (Czech Republic)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- Royal College of Art (RC) (United Kingdom)
- Pratt Institute (United States)
- Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences (H_DA) (Germany)
This is the second Red Dot Design award that the University has received, and the second time that it has been the sole Canadian institution named.