The University of British Columbia's Faculty of Education will host an online information session on Thursday, December 10 for the Master of Museum Education program, a part-time, 2.5 year graduate degree program open to participants across Canada. The program is delivered 90% online.
Focusing on the study of education and learning that occurs in museums and other informal learning context, the program draws together museum professionals, educators, and those with an interest in using the community to support teaching and learning to further their thinking and scholarship around museums as sites of education and learning.
This program will provide the necessary skills and knowledge for careers as educators in informal settings such as museums, locally and globally, and to support classroom-based teachers in expanding their use of the community as a learning site.
The program model is one that recognizes the need for contextualizing museum education curriculum in both home country context (which has its own unique social and political context) and in the Canadian cultural context of museum education, in which practices may be conceptualized in other beneficial ways to that of the student¹s own country of origin. The end result are graduating students that are then better able to influence the systems in their own countries with strengthened capacities to introduce beneficial reforms around museum education.
The program begins in September, 2016 and applications are due by March 1.
To learn more about the program, join the online info session on Thursday, December 10, 2015 from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. The livestream will address:
- the nature of the MMEd program
- the courses and scheduling
- admission requirements
- tuition costs
- tips for how to apply
- time for question and answer
- an opportunity to meet key faculty who will teach in the program.
To access the info session online:
- Ensure you have steady internet access and a headset.
- Prepare to enter the session at 3:50 p.m. on December 10.
- Go to https://bluejeans.com/278238961 and enter your name.
- Then, select Browser and then click on the Join Meeting button.
- Download and install the necessary plugin by following the on-screen instructions (this only needs to be done once).
- Once you are in the meeting, you can either use your microphone to ask a question, or use the chat box to type a question.
You can perform a system check by going to the test session: http://bluejeans.com/111.