The City of Vancouver, Vancouver Public Library and the Vancouver Writers Fest are accepting nominations and Letters of Intent for Vancouver’s next Poet Laureate.
The Poet Laureate, “the people’s poet,” is an honorary position with a flexible term of two to three years that begins in October 2014. During that term, the Laureate will act as a champion for poetry, language, and the arts, and create a unique, artistic legacy through public readings and events. The Poet Laureate may also complete a unique project during their term.
The Laureate should be guided by a mandate to raise the status of poetry in the everyday consciousness of Vancouverites. In addition to their civic duties, they will be free to pursue an individual agenda.
Submit a nomination by August 27, 2014
You can nominate a peer or yourself. To be considered, candidates should:
- Be published poets or performance poets
- Live in the City of Vancouver
- Have an established body of work
- Be recognized for notable contributions to poetry and the literary life of Vancouver
Past poets laureate and their accomplishments
- George McWhirter (2007-2009), who edited the anthology A Verse Map of Vancouver
- Bran Cran (2009-2011), who organized the Vancouver 125 Poetry Conference
- Evelyn Lau (2011-2014), who held manuscript consultations with emerging poets and promoted poetry in public spaces