A new museum of Chinese history opens in Lytton on May 13, on the site of a former joss house, or temple. The original temple was erected in 1881, where it stood until the 1920s. Since then, the site has been designated official heritage status under Heritage BC's Chinese Historic Places Recognition Project.
According to the website for the Lytton Chinese History Museum, the new building "will be a reconstruction of the 1881 Chinese Temple. Although not a functioning temple, it will be respectful of the religious significance of the earlier temple and will include an altar and area for study and meditation. Historical displays will bring recognition to the early Chinese influence in Lytton and the Fraser and Thompson Canyons, and will create a greater awareness of the historic links between the Chinese community, the First Nations community and other local residents."
The museum is a project of Lorna Fandrich, who purchased the land in 1980 and became interested in its history. The majority of the pieces on display were acquired from a private collector.