Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson presented the 2010 Mayor's Arts Awards at an invitation-only reception Wednesday, November 24 at the nightclub Five Sixty. Photos here.
The Mayor’s Arts Awards are presented in 13 categories and recognize Vancouver artists or community members who make a significant contribution to the creative life of our city. Recipients are nominated by a jury of peers convened by the Alliance for Arts and Culture.
Each recipient in the Studio and Performing Arts categories is invited to select an emerging artist who demonstrates the promise of the next generation.
The 2010 Mayor’s Arts Awards recipients, with emerging artists indicated in brackets, are:
- Ruth Scheuing (Sharon Kallis) for Craft & Design;
- Frank Pabst (Culinary Youth Team Canada) for Culinary Arts;
- Cease Wyss (Dustin Rivers) for Film & New Media;
- Evelyn Lau (Kaitlin Fontana) for Literary Arts;
- Christos Dikeakos (Alex Morrison) for Visual Arts;
- George Norris (Reece Terris) for Public Art;
- Carmen Rosen (Maggie Winston) for Community Arts.
- Alvin Erasga Tolentino (Sujit Vaidya) for Dance;
- Sal Ferreras (Evan Arntzen) for Music;
- Norman Armour (Tanya Marquardt) for Theatre.
Support of the Arts:
- Yosef Wosk for Philanthropy;
- Betty Lou Phillips for Volunteerism;
- Rio Tinto Alcan for Business Support.
Other artists to be recognized include: 2010 Mayor’s Book Award winners Bruce Grenville and Scott Steedman; Artist Live/Work Award recipients (2009 - 2012) Althea Thauberger, Michelle Allard, Josh Beamish and Kristen Roos; and Poet Laureate (2009 - 2011) Brad Cran.
The Mayor’s Arts Awards, established by City Council in 2006 to recognize established and emerging artists in a variety of disciplines, including literary, culinary, performing and visual arts, is co-produced by the Alliance for Arts and Culture.